Wednesday 14 January 2015

Does The Theory of Everything deserve 10 Bafta nominations?


Last week all the Bafta nominees were announced. The Grand Budapest Hotel led the way with 11 nominations, then came The Theory of Everything and Birdman both with 10 and then The Imitation Game with 9 nominations.
 
It was nominated for Best Film, Outstanding British Film, Best Actor, Best Actress, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Costume Design, Editing, Make up and hair and Music. Now, I am by far no expert film critic but I am glad The Theory of Everything got so many nominations.

Some people have been arguing that there isn't enough science in the film. Yes, it's about astrophysicist Stephen Hawking, but it's not a documentary. It's a film about a couple and the troubles they face from different opinions on religion to his struggle with motor neurone disease.
 
I think it definitely deserves to win Outstanding British Film and I would love to see it win Best Film however it is up against Boyhood which was awarded a Golden Globe the other day. Eddie Redmayne's performance was outstanding. I really believed that it was Stephen Hawking and not an actor pretending to be him. Every look and touch was so perfect. However Felicity Jones must not be overlooked, her performance was more subtle but just as effective and I am so glad she was also nominated for a Bafta.
 
I have no knowledge on things like the Director and Editing so I will move on to the music. I have watched a couple of films recently where the music has really let down the film. Sometimes you don't even notice the music. Not in this case. It was the icing on top of the already very delicious cake! So yes, in my humble opinion all 10 of those Bafta nominations were very much deserved.
 
Have you watched this film yet?

8 comments:

  1. I so very want to watch this - two of my fave actors too! I will be watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones were so good! x

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it yet, but can't wait to! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like such a great film! I saw a little "behind the scenes" clip and was really impressed just by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very impressive, you should definitely go and see it! x

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen it yet but I can't wait to! Especially now that I've read your thoughts on it.

    The last movie I saw in the cinema was Interstellar. I loved it. You know, no matter how great a movie is there are always going to be critics. Art and film is so subjective. Some of my favorite movies were box office 'flops'.

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, worth a watch! I never saw Interstellar but heard it was good. I agree, some of my favourite films weren't 'successful.' x

      Delete